Crafts Council Hothouse
A Crafts Council programme of creative and business support for new makers.
Advice on how to turn your creativity into a sustainable business, structuring a business, managing pricing and marketing.
Hothouse supports talented new makers at the start of their career.
Hothouse includes ten one-day workshops, a two-day residential, six hours of 1:1 mentoring and connects you to a national network of makers and organisations. It provides you with the tools to grow a sustainable and successful business when you need them most - at the start of your career.
Hothouse has already supported over 200 makers establish a strong foundation for their business. In their words Hothouse...
"... was invaluable, helped focus my goals and ambitions, moved my practice forward, created a support network of outstanding makers, kept me on track, widened my creative contacts, took my business in the direction, provided fabulous mentors and support, gave me life-long friendships"
The story so far
Hothouse was launched in 2011 and since then over 200 makers have completed the programme.
Evaluation of the programme year on year shows that it has a transformative effect on participants and evaluation of Hothouse, who completed the programme revealed;
- 100% said Hothouse enabled them to think differently about their career direction
- 92% understood the sector better
- 87% could identify new skills/abilities learnt during the programme
- 91% could identify next developmental steps
- 96% had benefitted positively from being part of a peer group
- vision for practice/business increased from 39% to 96% good or excellent
- knowledge of business planning increased from 7% to 78% good or excellent
- business judgement when assessing opportunities increased from 11% to 74% good or excellent
- creative analysis skills increased from 29% to 78% good or excellent
- ability to be entrepreneurial increased from 25% to 78%
Supporting makers across the UK
Talent is everywhere, but everyone needs a helping hand to reach their potential. The Crafts Council provides support for professionals within the craft sector from makers to craft curators and galleries. We encourage makers and curators to be ambitious, take risks in their practice and expand their artistic, technological and geographic horizons to deliver the highest quality work to the widest audiences.
We’ve supported the success of leading British makers over five decades. Crafts Council offers everything from bite-sized workshops to year-long programmes, for makers who are just starting out to those already well-established. We cover the essential topics for running a successful practice and craft business so makers can make the most of their talent, setting a standard for excellence and driving increased ambition and aspiration through the sector.